Today we get more good news. Two of the embryos that hadn’t fertilised yesterday have done so overnight and have caught up to the others in their developmental stage. Woohoo!
Today the embryo grading begins and I’m pleased to say that so far most of our fertilised embies pass the test, some with flying colours. As of 9am this morning (US Pacific time) we have:
- 3 x Five cells (fair quality)
- 5 x Four cells (good quality) – one of these is the first of our late-fertilising embies
- 9 x Four cells (fair quality) – our other late-fertiliser falls into this category
- 4 x Three cells (fair quality)
- 3 x Two cells (fair quality)
- 2 x One cell (ungraded as they’re only 1 cell)
At day 2 the embryos should be between 2 and 4 cells, so with all but two falling into this range, and with some even exceeding it, we’re really happy.
Now the difficult part comes. We’ve paid to have 8 embryos tested for chromosomal abnormalities but, with so many decent looking embryos, we may have the option to test more (for an additional fee of course). This causes a big dilemma for us. We want to do absolutely everything we can to help the process along and to ensure, if we are successful in achieving pregnancy, that we have sufficient frozen embryos to provide our child with a sibling or siblings. It’s possible that testing 8 will achieve this, but it’s also possible that those 8 won’t have enough normal embryos amongst them to allow us a decent number of frosties. It’s pretty much up to chance as to which way it could go. And what’s worse is we need to make a decision by tomorrow so that the lab can perform the necessary steps to allow for the embryo testing.
After much debate between ourselves, and consultation with others, we decide to add an additional four embryos to our testing selection. We may not have enough embryos at the right stage (blastocysts) to test this many but if we do then testing 12 should hopefully give us enough for a decent number or frosties. A very wise friend told me today that I should expect about 25% of those tested to be abnormal. That would take us to nine, which after having two transferred this cycle, leaves 7. Assuming those are all good to freeze that allows us enough for a sibling or two and a buffer should any not survive the thawing process. I email the lab with our request then hope like crazy we’re making the right decision. The exchange rate is not in our favour at the moment but hey, it’s only money right? Eek.