Today’s a better day. You know how you just have those down days where you know it’s completely irrational that you’re feeling down (I mean we’ve got some fabulous embryos for goodness sake!) but you just can’t help but feel a bit doom & gloom. I think for me it’s because we’ve tried so many different things over the last four years, have had so many failures, and it’s largely been my body’s fault. It’s sometimes hard to believe that, even with great embies, my body will actually behave and nourish those embies into viability.
But that was yesterday. Today I wake up determined to beat the blues. We decide to head north to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. I absolutely LOVE tigers and, following the acupuncturist’s advice to find something that brings me real joy, the Safari Park Tiger Trail seems just the ticket. It’s fantastic, not just the tigers but the entire park. We spend a good four hours wandering around the beautifully laid out plains and exploring all the various areas the park has to offer. Of course the tigers are my favourite and a fair bit of time is spent in that area (don’t even ask how many photos I took!). I’m happy again.
We’re enjoying our time so much we completely forget about checking emails for the lab update. About halfway through our visit it suddenly dawns on me – our update! A quick check shows it’s sitting there waiting for us. And the news is still good!
By this stage (day 5) they’re expecting to see the embryos developing into blastocysts and they start to grade them on where they sit on the blastocyst scale. Firstly they evaluate their expansion (Early blastocyst, Expanding, Expanded, Fully expanded, or Hatching blastocyst). Next they give them grades for both the inner cell mass (which will form the foetal tissue) and the outer cell mass (which will form the placenta). These are marked as Good (G), Fair (F), or Poor (P).
Our top twelve embryos (the ones that will be biopsied for Pre-implantation Genetic Screening) are classified as:
- 1 x Hatching blastocyst (1 x G/G)
- 9 x Expanding blastocysts (5 x G/G, 4 x G/F, 1 x F/F)
- 2 x Early blastocysts (1 x G/G, 1 x G/F)
Our remaining 14 embryos are:
- 4 x Early blastocysts (potential for biopsy and/or freezing tomorrow)
- 2 x Morula (potential for biopsy and/or freezing tomorrow)
- 4 x Compacting (potential for biopsy and/or freezing tomorrow)
- 4 x Multicells (probably won’t make blastocysts)
We’ve only paid for 12 to be tested so once we get the biopsy results tomorrow we’ll need to make a very quick call on whether we’re happy with what we have or whether we pay to get more tested. Even if we don’t get the remainder tested we’ll still be able to freeze any that are of acceptable cryopreservation quality.
At the bottom of the email is the timing and details for our embryo transfer tomorrow. We’re locked and loaded. Some last minute decisions to be made on which embies are going back in but by this time tomorrow I’ll be pregnant until proven otherwise (PUPO) and the two week wait will begin!